The Broken Cup: Seven Lessons for a Meaningful Life

0

 

The Broken Cup: Seven Lessons for a Meaningful Life

A Socratic story about purpose, perseverance, learning, discipline, humility, and using your time wisely.

Lesson
Lesson


Socrates sat in the shadow of a broken wall on the edge of the old city. He held an earthen cup and she lay in it.

He was gently feeling the crack with his finger. Cretu was standing some distance away.

He looked restless, as if something was stuck in his heart. Finally, he spoke. "Master, I'm tired. I work hard too."

I have a purpose in mind. Yet, I can't resist. Sometimes I feel like giving up everything and settling down.

Explain why this happens. Socrates looked up, smiled, and offered the cup to Creto. "Look, there's a rag in it."

If you pour water, it will leak. When people see that there is less water in the cup, they keep looking for more water to pour in. They keep pouring water in. But the real issue is not a lack of water.

The real issue is the leaking water. It stops your tiredness.

The reason is not work. It's all that your anger is seeping through the cracks that keep you

You can't even see it. Until those cracks are closed, you can drink all the water in the world. Your cup will remain empty.

Crito fell silent. Today I will tell you seven things that close these cracks and that have been ignored.

He will keep filling his cup all his life and will remain thirsty. The first thing Socrates said

The First Lesson: Keep Your Eyes on Yourself

He said, "Keep your eyes on yourself, not on others." Kriate immediately made a face. But Guruji wouldn't know without looking at others.

It won't work where I stand. Socrates said, there was a man named Damon the potter.

But he was skilled. His neighbor was also a potter. Damoon decided that he would make better pots than his neighbor. Damoon

He decided he would make better pots than his neighbor. He would surpass his neighbor. So now he didn't sit at the wheel every morning. He would go to his neighbor's house first.

I would make excuses to see what he was making: how many utensils he sold, and at what price.

He would do this calculation all day. In the afternoon, when he finally got time to sit down at his wheel, he had neither the courage nor the time.

After filling up, there were heaps of utensils in the neighbour's house. And the stones were piled up around the Damoon wheel.

Socrates looked at Crito, who was constantly counting other people's fields.

His own fields become barren. And today, this disease is even more severe. In our hands

It's that little, shiny thing. The mobile phone, on which we spend all day watching other people's lives.

Who has reached where? Who is doing what? Who has bought what? And in watching this, we forget to live our lives.

The Second Lesson: Choose a Purpose and Stick to It

Let's go. Second, choose a purpose and stick to it. Socrates drew a line on the ground.

A man without purpose is like a boat without a shore. Wherever the wind blows

Let it flow away. I could walk all my life but never reach anywhere. This time, Karitu

He didn't object. He listened with his head bowed, because this matter touched his heart.

There was a young man, Nikas was brilliant, but his dreams changed every week. For a week, I thought

I'll be great. The next week I'd say, "No, trading is better." Then I'd say, "Maybe I should learn to mow." I'd start every job and

Whenever he encountered a slight difficulty, he would abandon it and run for a new path. Exit after 20 years

had 20 incomplete skills. Not a single one was perfect. Whereas his simple friend, who

He had taken up just one task and had become a master at it. Remember, no door will open for the one who knocks on ten doors.

The Third Lesson: Have Faith and Persevere

It opens. And only those who keep knocking on the door get in. Third, focus on yourself.

Have faith and persevere even in defeat. But this time, Master, Crito's voice was tinged with bitterness.

When a person loses, where does one find confidence? Defeat shatters confidence.

Socrates smiled. "It's the opposite, Crito," he said. "Defeat doesn't break faith." Defeat breaks faith.

She tests. Every problem has a master. The only condition is that you be willing to sit in his class. Listen, there was a blacksmith named Tairun.

He decided to make a sword that would never break. The first one he made broke. The second one he made

It broke too. The villagers laughed. But every time the sword broke, Tarun looked at the broken piece.

He would pick it up and carefully observe where it broke and next time he would strengthen the iron from there.

He would. Each broken sword taught him a lesson. The 19th one broke, too, but it was the 20th.

It became famous in the entire area and Tairun used to say that this one sword was one of those 19 broken swords.

We have created it together. The one who wins only is not Surma. Surma is the one who remains at the end even after losing.

The Fourth Lesson: Never Stop Learning

He fights to the death. Fourth, never stop learning. Socrates looked towards a nearby stream.

He pointed out that this water keeps moving, so it's clean. And if it settles in the pit,

It rots. The human mind is like that too. The one who keeps learning stays active and

The one who stops and says, "I know everything," begins to rot inside. An old man

Aris was a doctor with 40 years of experience. One day, a young doctor arrived in his village.

Aris came in with new methods, saying, "I've been doing this for 40 years. Now this guy's going to teach me," and he refused to learn.

But after a few years, people started going to the young man because his methods were better.

Aris's 40 years of experience were wasted. Just because he had to learn one day

Crito said softly, "So isn't experience enough?" Socrates said, "Remember every person you meet."

It is a moving book and a fool is one who closes his eyes even when he sees the book in front of him.

The Fifth Lesson: Discipline

Fifthly, discipline is the rope that pulls you to your goal.

Socrates asked the first question, "Tell me, Crete, there are two men who are dreaming the same dream."

There are those who say, "I'll work whenever I feel like it." And the other is those who

Every day, whether I feel like it or not, I keep doing it a little bit. So, tell me, how can I reach my destination?

Who will arrive? The second, Creto, immediately said, because the first will only work on the day

The day will be his mood. Exactly as Socrates said, passion is like fire, it flares up and then goes out.

It goes away but the poems are like burning embers which keep burning slowly and continuously

Bread is cooked not on the blazing fire of passion but on those continuous embers. One who moves on the basis of mood reaches nowhere and one who

The Sixth Lesson: Don’t Live for Show

He moves ahead on the basis of habit, he moves forward even while sleeping. Sixth thing, don't do it for show.

Live. There was a young man named Faidun. When he got some money, the first thing he did was buy expensive

He bought clothes so that people would see him in the market and say, look how successful he is.

He spent whatever little savings he had on showing off and there was another young man with him who did the same.

He quietly saved the money and invested it in learning a new skill. After a few years, Faidun had

One had old, expensive clothes and empty pockets, while the other had simple clothes. But he had a skill that sustained him throughout his life.

Socrates' voice softened. He who wants to appear rich in the eyes of others is often the poorest in his own pocket.

Crito lowered his gaze in embarrassment.

It's as if he were saying this about himself. Friends, even today people waste money on things they don't need.

It's just to show off to people he doesn't even like.

The most expensive thing is slavery. Seventhly, Socrates paused and spoke softly. And lastly, Karitu

The Seventh Lesson: Never Sit Idle

Never sit idle. Never sit idle. Let me tell you a story that might

The most important thing is that there lived a farmer in a village. He wasn't hardworking, but he had big dreams.

One spring, he decided to grow a good crop this year and pay off all his debt.

I'll give it to you. He dug a little, sowed the seeds, and then came home and lay down, waiting for the rain.

He started doing it. What's the need to go to the fields every day? The rain will come, the sun will rise, and the crops will grow on their own. This is the law of nature.

His neighbours visit their fields daily, water them, remove unnecessary weeds, and keep insects away.

They would have saved the crop. But Zad would have sat on the village platform, drinking tea, chatting, and saying, "Hard work is hard work."

What happens? Whatever is destined for a person, he will definitely get it. Whatever is destined for me, I will get it.

Sometimes I would look at the fields and think, "I'll go tomorrow. I'm very tired today. Then it's time for the harvest."

The time came. When Zed reached his field, he was stunned. Where there should have been a lush crop,

There were dead stalks and ruined plants, and he sat idle. He said, "I'll do it tomorrow." All in the same field.

I stood there, prodding him. Zad cried that day. I wish I hadn't been sitting idle. Kritu

He said softly, but Ustaji, shouldn't a person take rest? Should he keep working all the time? I did not ask him to work.

Kritu, I have asked you not to sit idle, I have asked you not to sit idle, understand the difference, human being.

You are never truly empty, even when you are apparently empty, your mind still keeps working, it just tends towards negative thoughts.

Old troubles turn towards the future, fears, useless worries, even the field of passion is empty.

It wasn't there. Weeds had grown in it themselves. An empty mind is like that. Nothing good.

If you sow, goodness will spring up. Free time is the soil in which whatever you sow will grow.

If you don't sow anything, weeds will grow. Socrates picked up the broken cup again.

He gently ran his finger over the crack, as if filling it. Look, Kratu, these seven things are cracks in that same cup.

Watching others. One crack, wandering aimlessly. The other, surrendering to defeat.

Stop learning. Live by your mood, pretend, and sit idle. Every single one

And it's through these that your anger oozes, and you feel like life has left you empty. You don't understand where your energy is going.

But the day you learn to close these cracks, you won't need to ask the world for more water.

The issue was never a lack of water. The issue was always the cracks that you, Crito,

I've never seen it. Crito looked at the cup and then at Socrates, and for the first time, his face showed relief, not fatigue.

And learn something new every day in life. Think new, do new, learn new.

Final Thought

Think new. Do new. Learn new.

Tags

Post a Comment

0Comments
Post a Comment (0)
To Top